HEAL Journey Promo

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Diet Soda: My Self-Induced Headache

Diet sodas - they haunt me everyday at work. I can't hide from them. They're on the counter when I get a cup of water, they're in the fridge when I grab my lunch and there is even a full-service, never-ending soda fountain in our break room. All the diet coke a girl could want! Free refills all day long - imagine that! So somewhere between the kitchen, the breakroom and lunch I'll grab myself a diet Dr. Pepper, Diet Coke, or a diet "I don't even know what." So today there I was on my way to the kitchen to grab a drink of water and pretty Mr. Pepper stared me down. And he stared me down hard. So I grabbed him and popped him open and I had myself a new friend accompanying me in my cubicle. But as I took my second sip I felt that wierd headachey, "not good for you" kinda feeling come on. And I kept on sipping. I sipped my way right through Mr. Pepper until he was all gone and all I was left with was that yucky "I'm not feeling so peppy sort of feeling.

So diet sodas - I mean they're really not that big of a deal, right? Maybe they aren't but in my heart as lame as it might seem I know I'm not doing what's right for my body because it tells me so! And to add to that they've become my "can of comfort" at work - keeping me from going to God in thought or prayer.

Jesus says something about this sort of thing "And if your right hand causes you to sin [be separated from God], cut it off and throw it away." So maybe it's time I do away with the diet drinks. I don't need them, they're not good for me and I'm turning to them for peace and comfort instead of the only one I've met in this world that can truly satisfy.

So, I'm taking a break from Mr. Pepper and his diet friends. I'll keep you posted! =)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

First of all, I just discovered this blog and I think it's awesome! I love what you said in your post about the way diet soda keeps you from going to God in prayer. It seems so silly, but there's something about the satisfaction it gives that takes your mind away from whatever you want to avoid dealing with. Thanks for sharing - it spoke to me!